Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Social Learning: On Role Models and Mentors


My Role Models and Mentors   and  Their Contributions 

My Mother              

  My mom was my motivator and supporter in my learning. She's always there in the background trying her best to make sure I grow up to be a strong person. Whenever, I failed on something or express my disappointments, she would always comfort me by saying that I have a choice to just drop it and look for another alternative. She always trusts me in all my decisions, and of course as a parent, you know that they only have unconditional love for you. She will always be my epitome of strength and optimism. I guess she is my biggest mentor and role model.                                    

Ma'am Rile
(My Kindergarten Teacher)

My kindergarten teacher was always full of energy, as a shy child, I always look up and admire people who are full of enthusiasm and are assertive. When she teaches us a song or reads us a story, she was always very animated. She gave life to the storybook characters and tickled our imagination.
I believe I looked up to her as my role model, because being animated and enthusiastic was not a trait I had before, and I would want to have that when I teach in the future.

Ma'am Giner
(My Grade 6 English Teacher)

Ma'am Giner was a great English teacher. She explains everything with ease. I never knew that I would be good in this subject. She encourages us to read a lot. I think I read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books from our school library before. I would want to be like a teacher like her, she does not impose herself to her students, but instead she brings out the potential in them and nurtures the potential. Her goal in teaching was clear and that was for her students to master the subject.

Mr. Calambro
(High School Drafting Teacher)

Mr. Calambro is one unforgettable teacher. He teaches us our Drafting subject in school. He has a very keen eye for details. I remember repeating the drafting plates several times in order to perfect them. But he doesn't immediate deadlines, he knows that we are trying to learn a skill. One thing I really admire about him is that he takes time to get to know his students, he tries to level with us.
He was not the authoritative type when outside the classroom. I would want to be that type of teacher as well, someone who can be a friend to them and someone who truly cares.

Stephen Covey
(Author of "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People")

When I was on my second year as a working employee, I was sent to do training on Stephen Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. His works and his book really opened my eyes that it is possible to be a self-regulated person and succeed in it. His ideas were easy to follow and easy to remember. But it's not something that is oversimplified since it still is complex and difficult at the same time. His principles really inspired and motivated me. Sometimes, I would find myself unconsciously quoting him when working on a certain task, like his famous "First things first." habit.



No comments:

Post a Comment