Saturday, November 24, 2012

Information Processing Theory

Who was your first teacher? What was your first classroom like? What is you remotest childhood memory? How long did it take you to retrieve those information? What does that reveal about the nature of long-term memory?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember vividly my first teacher, my first classroom and even the first name of a classmate that I read from the Attendance Board. My first teacher, Ma'am Rile, was in kindergarten, she was a bubbly and animated. Our first classroom was very airy, we have to sit on the carpet in the middle of the room when in class. We have several small chairs and tables, but mostly for eating during snack time or for activities.

My remotest childhood memory was when I was about 2 or 3 years old. We were in my maternal grandparents' ancestral house in Barotac Viejo, Iloilo. They have a large garden in the front and I remember playing with the plants and the grass. I also remember thinking that I exist in the world as a person. It was sort of an existential enlightenment, I remembered the feeling vividly.

Most of the things I remember very well in my long-term memory are episodic memory. They are already etched in my memory and I can easily recall them as if they happened yesterday. I can easily retrieve them since I treasure those memorable events in my life.

This shows that somehow the long-term memory may be linked to your emotions. If the memories are not tragic or traumatic, you will be more likely to remember them.


“..the heart's memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good, and that thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burden of the past.” 
― Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera



No comments:

Post a Comment