Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Behaviorism

 What are predominant practices in your home with respect to reinforcing behaviors and for modifying behaviors?  How would you prefer behaviors regulated at home or in school?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe we grew up in the country where we see parents applying positive  punishment to their children. I think it is somehow passed down from our ancestors and that we see it as normal and fitting way to enforce discipline. I remember my mom telling me stories how my grandfather would ask them to kneel in a layer of rock salt when they misbehave. 

I also saw how my uncles and aunts use their belts, slippers, newspapers and anything their hands can grab to slap it on the rears of my cousins. We saw it as normal way to discipline because we believe our parents would want us to grew up to be better persons. 

My mom only hit me with a garden hose once when I was 7 years old. I went to the perya in our town plaza and didn't tell her about it. She was worried sick because she didn't know where  I was. 

Eventually when we grew older there were less physical punishments and mostly it was a negative punishment (lowering down our allowances, not buying us the toys that we want, etc). Sometimes they would use the "pakonsensya" effect to try to modify our behavior. For example, I really want to eat chocolates, then my mom would say, "Ok, I will buy you chocolates, but your sisters and I will not have anything to eat for a week." Well, it works for me, since my heart can't bear to see them suffer. 

I believe behaviors are best regulated at home. At home, is where the child will start to learn his values and attitude. The school can also reinforce behavior but to a certain extent only. There should not be a disconnect between the teachings in school and at home. There should be consistency in order to see change. It is important that teachers talk to parents and vice versa. 




     “Good and evil, reward and punishment, are the only motives to a rational creature: these are the spur and reins whereby all mankind are set on work, and guided”


1 comment:

  1. Hi Carla!

    I couldn't agree with you more that behaviors are best regulated at home. Homes are actually cornerstones of our learning and behavior. Anyway, behaviors be it regulated at home or school should always be goal-oriented because that is what learning about.

    Good afternoon! :)

    ArmidaRhea

    ReplyDelete