Sunday, November 18, 2012

Learning Strategy

Am I a self-regulated learner? Why can’t I think like an expert? Will my participation in forum discussions facilitate the transfer of my learning?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe it's difficult to master self-regulation. Basing on my experience, there's always a gap on what you know, what you want and what you do. For example, I know I need to do my eJournals, I wanted to ace the course, however, self-reinforcement is lacking.

Reflecting more about it, self-regulation is like being the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the government all at the same time. You make your own rules, you execute them, and you judge yourself on what you did.

I would like to think that I'm a self-regulated learner. Self-regulation should be a requirement for distance learning. There should be a test that should be done before diving into distance learning.

On being an expert, there should be exposure to a certain field of specialization. I believe experts have the extensive  knowledge that can be acquired through practice and experience. Also, there should be focus and understanding to be able to effectively see the "patterns" and analyze them.

For example, we go to doctors to have a medical check up. However, sometimes, we are more confident to go to doctors who specialize on a certain area. If you seem to have colds for weeks now, you might want to see a EENT doctor rather than a general practitioner.

I know I can't think like an expert in this course, because this is something new to me. I have yet to really experience putting things into practice. This is where transfer will take place. Practicing learning transfer in the forum discussions would really enhance your learning. For me though, time is essential and I didn't have the time to do so. Also, most of the time, different ideas emerge in the forums and it confuses me and diverts me more.

I believe if time is not of the essence, then learning can be transferred more effectively. Take for example, when I was in grade school, I had almost ten subjects that I needed to study. It would be difficult for students to really transfer what they've learn if they are doing too many tasks.

It's a challenge for teachers to balance learning and transfer. Time does play an important factor, and it's something that we cannot avoid. As teachers, we have to


“Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.” ― Lao Tzu


No comments:

Post a Comment