Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Will I be a good teacher?

What kind of teacher do I want to become? What strengths do you want to have? What kinds of potential weaknesses might you need to overcome? 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reflecting deeply on the questions above that came from our module. It's difficult to say what kind of teacher I would like to be. 

I was able to encounter this kind of dilemma before when I got pregnant. When I got pregnant though, it wasn't planned, and I was in the situation before I was able to react. However, I did have a choice, and I chose to raise my son the best possible way I know how. I wanted to be a good mother, I wanted to give him unconditional love, and yet instill in him good values. I want him to grow up and be a well-balanced person, and that he knows that, as his parents, we will always love him and be there for him. I read books on how to raise my kid, I look to my parents and parents-in-law for advice as well. 

Now, as a teacher, I want to be the one who will be able to make a difference and instill good study habits to my students. I want to share and create experiences with them, teach them the realities of life, and let them know that they have a power to change themselves and change the world in the process. I would encourage them to discover and be curious about everything around them. 

One of my strengths, I believe, is that I am able to immerse my self and empathize with the situation of others. However, I am always positive that whenever there is adversity, there's opportunity to for growth, learning and be able to work with others. 

I saw a documentary in GMA News TV about poor and far flung provinces, where they lack basic school facilities and they lack licensed teachers. It was really sad, but I admired the courage and strength of this one teacher who, despite all adversities, managed to travel from her house to school using a boat for 2 hours, in order to teach the children. Her meager salary was not even enough to cover transportation costs. However, she made it her mission and vocation to provide these kids education. 

Situations like this are not impossible and it can easily be resolved if people work together for a common cause. If one person can do it, how much more with three or more people?

Another strength that I have would be that I am a good observer of people. I can easily notice if one person has a problem. Also, I can easily adapt to a different environment and different kinds of people. 

In my strengths,  there may lie my possible weakness as well, sometimes I may divert from structure. I may not always stick to schedules or deadlines, just because I think that learning should not be forced or some may take time. I will be the teacher who would want to break from traditional teaching, since I believe students will remember better if they are motivated and having fun. 

I may not have experience yet with formal teaching, however, I know I would need to strike a balance between my strengths and weaknesses.

Sometimes, like a mother, a teacher will be able to just know what's best for her students.  














No comments:

Post a Comment