Friday, September 14, 2012

The Teacher and Learner in Me

How have I myself (i.e., the teacher candidate) learned in school and how do I learn most effectively? Why do some people  learn better than I and I better than others? 

How do we know if a person has successfully learned? Can you suggest a "fairer definition of learning and academic achievement? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was 5 years old when I enrolled in kindergarten in our provincial university, also a laboratory school. (By the way, I didn't really know back then why it was called a laboratory school. Now, I know it's because we had student teachers who were teaching us and they are learning to become teachers as well.)

Even if kindergarten was 25 years ago, I still remember vividly, the activities we had. I sang and loved the songs my teacher taught us. Just to name a few, I remember, "My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean" and  "Father Abraham" were among my favorites. We also had a production number, and it was about Pinocchio. 

I remember I celebrated my birthday (which fell in the month of September) in class. I dressed up and I blew the candles on my cake. After that, I wanted to stay in class, but apparently those who had their birthdays, can go home and skip class. 
Also, it was during that time that I learned to read, the first name I read was "Carmela".

I had the most memorable moments in kindergarten. However, I felt that my grades 1 to 6 years passed by so quickly. There were a lot of great memories there as well. During these years, my teachers always gives me comment in my report card, that I was too quiet that I should participate more in class. I know now, upon learning the Theories of Learning, that teachers need to observe as well the students. In a class of 30 or more students, it would be difficult for a teacher to really know and understand each or their students.  

In my mind, I wasn't really that "bibo" kid in school, however I learn very well, and was consistently in the honor roll. Many teachers associate being "bibo" with the success of a student in class. However,  I think since each student has a differently personality, it could be that he just has an introvert personality, but still is able to observe and listen well. 

When I was in grade school, we were divided into sections every year. So the students with the highest grades, goes to Section A, the next goes to Section B, and the lowest goes to Section C. A student can move to a higher section once his grades are higher. I think this creates a notion to those in the lower section that they are not good enough, thus they may not be motivated to learn. I was in Section A, and it's good because you are always being praised by your teachers. The praises I got from my teachers and getting high grades, really motivated me to learn and do well in school. 

Now looking back, I think it's not the best way to learn. Praises and avoiding to be in a lower section are just social fears of not being accepted if you are not good enough. 

I think a "fairer definition of learning and academic achievement" would be to allow students to interact freely with each other. I think we should do away with labeling. I think that a person who is good in sports, should not be "punished" because he doesn't do well in math. The role of the teachers should be to let the students find their interests and not pushing it to them. Also, lessons should be made interesting so that it captures the attention of different types of learners.

Now, I know I wrote a lot of things on this post in my eJournal. I would want to actually elaborate more in most of the topics I brought up here. Maybe, I would do more entries about them once I have the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment