Sunday, September 23, 2012

Epistemology

Reflect on your personal epistemologies, using Schommer’s dimensions. How do your personal beliefs influence:  the way you approach learning? (How do you study?)  the choices you make about what to learn? (What do you study)  the kinds of knowledge you intentionally acquire? (What do you learn?)
the goals that you set? (for mastery or for recognition?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Do I Study? 

My mother told me that when I was little, I would already open a book and flip through the pages even if I can't yet read them. What my mom doesn't know was that I was really interested more about the pictures that were on the books. 

Whenever I read a book, I would visualize in my mind what I'm reading. I've been more of the visual learner. I grew up watching "Sesame Street" and Batibot. I learned the bible stories in cartoons called "Flying House" and "Superbook."  Both reading and watching TV gave me that "movie theater experience" feeling. 

In college, when I felt that all the subjects in my Chemistry classes were all theoretical, I would not take interest in them. But during Chem Lab, I would enjoy doing lab experiments because I know I'm learning something practical.  This makes me a kinesthetic learner. I've aced my PE classes and electives like Painting and Graphic Design. 

What Do I Study?

I believed that in my heart I'm really an artist, and not a pragmatic scientist. I enjoy creating something with my hands. Arts and crafts was one subject that would never bore me, and I can stay up all night just trying to perfect a painting. Back in high school, we had an art exhibit in school. My art teacher told me after the exhibit that someone bought my painting. For me, that event validated my artistic skills. 

Back in my college days, I was also interested in subjects concerning human behavior. Psychology, marketing, organizational behavior, operations management are just some of the subjects that I wanted to learn more about. 

What Do I Learn? 

When I was 10 years old, my parents would not allow me to ride a bike. They said that I'm a girl and I shouldn't ride bikes. However, I didn't see the logic of their reasoning. So, what happened was I borrowed my neighbor's bike and learned to ride the bike myself without my parents' knowing, of course. After several bruises and scratches, I was able to bike around our subdivision. (I'm more of a thinking and doing person, converging style based on Kolb's theory, a pragmatist based on Honey and Mumford's theory).

In the 90s, during the boom of computers, I was fascinated by the new technology. I thought that time that it was one of the practical invention and made our lives so much easier. I dedicated my time in learning to use the computer and mastering the use of different software and applications. I didn't have to take up a course to study computers. I was interested in them and I learned easily.

The knowledge and skills that I try to intentionally learn are those that I see will be useful for me in the future. 


For mastery or for recognition?

As I grew older, I noticed that the goals that I set for myself changes. Before, my goal was to experience the world and different cultures, I wanted to travel and meet different people. I wanted to be physically in a place and not just read about it. I wanted to learn a lot of things, but I was spreading myself too thin. I was a jack of all trades and master of none. 

Now, my goal is to become a useful member of the society, to be able to share my experience and reach out to others. I believe that  I should focus my time and energy to things that really matter and that I'm passionate about

We only have one life to live, and I believe we should make use of it wisely. 















No comments:

Post a Comment