Saturday, September 8, 2012

Teaching and the Role of Teachers


When I defined my idea about teaching and the role of teachers, it was straight to the point and simple. After reading the answers of my classmates, I saw that actually, it's more than what I thought. For example, teaching is not simple, as per my classmate, Vanessa Jones Enrera,  it is a "complex process". This was further clarified by Gloriecar Amor Alvarico that we have a lot of roles to play as a teacher.
It is a process because as teachers we prepare for teaching and this preparation requires a lot of researching, experimenting, organizing, evaluating and re-evaluating. 

With the onset of technology, it is indeed true, that "students are more open to learn using the computer and less receptive to teacher-student setup." This was mentioned by Christine Rose Padayhag-Bersales on her post in the forum. I think this is a challenge for teachers and would-be teachers, like me. We should be able adapt our teaching styles accordingly, maybe even use technology to our advantage, to be able to help our students learn. 

A teacher's goal is for her students to learn and be able to guide them. In order for this to happen, she has to adjust and adapt to her students' level. Because when you understand how a person, thinks and feels, then you would be able to understand as well the best way to teach him. 





I always thought the idea of education was to learn to think for yourself.   
                                                   - John Keating (From the movie, "Dead Poets' Society)






3 comments:

  1. I think you would like this video. We were required to watch this on another subject (I just can't remember what subject it was), but it tells about how the creator of khanacademy.org got the idea for the website from his nephews (if I remember correctly) who learned more from the videos than from one on one tutorials with him.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gM95HHI4gLk

    And I think this also goes with what you say, which I agree with, that it's all about helping students learn even if it means having to adjust your teaching methodology constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chevy!

    Thank you for your comment. The video is indeed very informative! It shows as well that performance goal is still being widely practiced (teacher giving a student a "C" on the subject) rather than mastery goals (which means making sure that a student understands fully the whole lesson before moving to the higher level).

    Also, the "One size fits all" concept is still very much applied in the Philippines, especially in public schools where the ratio of teachers to students is on average 1:40.

    I will also comment on your blog.

    Thanks,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chevy, I cant't seem to comment on your blog. I think the comments section is not activated.

    Please let me know as soon as it's ok.

    Thanks,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete