Thursday, February 28, 2013

eJournal # 5 My Learning Experience: Audio Materials

Every week is always a hectic week for me. Juggling having a full-time work, being a full-time mom, and studying in a distance learning is still  a challenge for me. I was actually thinking not enrolling anymore on the next semester. But then I realized a lot of things when I was researching for answers for the fora.

When I was researching on the questions on the fora about audio materials, I came across several articles and paper on how audio materials can help out the blind on how to read Braille eventually. It's really a challenge for those teachers who teach students with disabilities. I remember Roselle Ambubuyog, the blind valedictorian, a fellow Atenean, who was one batch lower than me. I see her all the time with her mother assisting her in going to the classroom. She had special materials and equipment so she could take notes. Her motivation to really excel despite her situation is really inspiring. 

I know that it would be difficult for teachers to teach, since each student, in one way or another has their own "disabilities". Whether they easily bored, or they don't have the motivation to learn. 

I know I want to be a teacher who could change and improve her students. The one who could inspire them to reach their full potential and not let obstacles get in their way. 


When I saw our assignment on creating an audio material, I wondered how effective that would be since it was said before, that we retain only 10% of what we hear. I realized as well, what would be the best way to teach sonnets than to let them hear it. Of course, in creating the lesson plan, it wouldn't be all auditory all the time. It should be mixed up with other activities as well to make it more effective.

I had fun creating the audio material. Audio materials would be great for distance learners as well, since as a student I know I would hang on to every word my teacher would say so I  could better understand the lesson. It would help very much to have audio materials for those learning a new language. It would be a great supplement and you can even listen to the audio when you are in bed or when commuting going to school or work.

Listening is a skill that most people need to develop. It is something that would be very useful in this day and age where people just talk a lot, and listen less.

Until the next eJournal! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carla! I found your blog while I was scouring the internet for more info about UPOU. I am waiting for the result of my application to MDE at UPOU. How are you doing? Are you still enrolled at UPOU? Hoping to get connected with you. Thank you for sharing your experiences in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mildred! Thanks for dropping by. I did enroll for 2 semesters for PTE in UPOU. I might enroll again soon! Good luck on your application!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ms. Carla, do they have activities every week?

    ReplyDelete