Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Intelligence

My strategy in learning has always been that I take my time to understand the topics. If I'm not able to understand one topic, then I have difficulty going to the next one. When I was in grade school, I know that I've learned because I was able to get a high score in the exam. Sometimes, there were times when I get a high score or even just pass an exam without much effort. When I was in grade 6, we were asked to get an IQ test, and I always get higher than the classmates I had. There where other classmates I had who scored well in General History or Math, but I got higher in IQ tests than them.

This may mean the IQ tests may not really measure the ability of a person to memorize dates and names of people or logical-mathematical intelligence of a person.

I didn't come from a family with high IQs (as far as I know). However, I would think that intelligence is 80% nurture. My mom played a big part in my learning. In our house, she would put up handmade posters of the alphabet and the multiplication table so we can memorize them. I grew up watching Sesame Street and Batibot. Those TV shows contributed a lot to my knowledge of the English and Filipino language.

We lived in my aunt's house during my formative years. In their house, there were a lot of magazines and newspapers, and I got interested in reading them, even just looking at the pictures. Looking back now, I see that there were a lot of available resources in our house that contributed to my learning.

However, I noticed that some of my classmates were really good in playing the piano or in singing. Even though I tried learning to play piano and even singing in the choir, there are really people who are naturally musically inclined. I guess looking at Gardner's Multiple Intelligence theory, these are people who developed their musical intelligence.

In this course, I would be tapping in to my linguistic intelligence, since this PTC course is more on writing and discourse. Also, in writing these journals, David Perkin's theory on experiential and reflective intelligence also would be put to good use. I reflect a lot about my personal experiences this also helps facilitate my learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment